Capturing Depth With Color
Capturing Depth With Color Lesson
In this capturing depth with color lesson I will demonstrate using how to manipulate objects by adding gray, or complimentary color. There is a color wheel below if you need a reference for complimentary colors. Note how I use complimentary colors to make adjustments to colors. I use complimentary colors to tone down a hue. This decreases the intensity which is useful for pushing objects such as the building to the background.
What You Need To Know
This lesson simply elaborates on how to use tone to shift intensity. In the video tutorial version I create the image you see above and walk you through the color mixing process. But for this lesson it's only a visual that illustrates how using an extreme value/hue shift in the foreground building contrasts with the toned down objects in the mid and background.
- The building in the foreground also includes a very dark shadow area that is intensified by the light blue side of the building. This is key to making impact with value & tones combined so that the scene has a feeling of depth.
- Also note the decrease in contrast for buildings in the distance. By adjusting the value, or hue, with a gray and complimentary color it fades away and contrasts nicely with the foreground building.
- To make objects appear closer use more hues; so no complimentary.
- To push objects back add a complimentary, or gray.
- Note that you can also use white, or gray to decrease the value and tone of colors.
Get To Work
This is an important lesson for you to understand. No better way to do this than creating a similar study. Also, you will probably need to make adjustments once all the elements are in place. This is normal so be sure to take a long look at your work to see where adjustments need to be made in order to create depth.
GET 60 DAYS FREE ACCESS TO OVER 30 PREMIUM ONLINE CLASSES
Get a FREE premium SkillShare membership for 60 days when you sign up using the button below. This gives you access to over 30 classes (and counting) that are currently available by Robert. In addition to Robert's classes you can access all premium SkillShare classes by other amazing creatives. An incredible offer!
You can cancel your premium membership at any time. If you cancel before your three months are up, you’ll still have access to all premium classes on SkillShare for the entire three month period. You have nothing to lose!
Join over 3000 artists that are loving Robert's advanced painting series on SkillShare. Hope to see you there!