How To Add Confident Expressive Drawing To Your Art
How to Add Confident Expressive Drawing To Your Art
In this How to Add Confident Expressive Drawing To Your Art lesson you will discover how to add more abstract qualities to your paintings. The mediums include compressed charcoal and heavy body acrylics. But, it's really the mind set that I want to focus on. The attitude! To illustrate there are two examples; 'Too timid' and 'Go for it'.
What You Need To Know
Being Too Timid
- Being timid is typically due to lack of experience & confidence.
- The result(s) of timid strokes is it conveys a cautious look to your drawing & ultimately just adds clutter to the painting.
- Timid strokes do not grab the viewers attention & add any aesthetic value to the art. So, the art would have been better off without it.
- Notice that I'm not drawing with the 'coloring book' problem but simply not adding any range of pressure into the surface. Thus no excitement in the lines & drawing.
Go For It Notes
- Note how I'm using a range of pressure & handling the charcoal with confidence. There is a mixture of light & heavy pressure into the surface. You can learn more about applying pressure here.
- The lines flow freely and have a distinct role to play. They are prominent but not totally screaming at the viewer.
- It adds movement to the overall appearance of the art.
- Remember it takes time to develop a comfort level for using drawing in your painting process.
- Be sure that you don't go too heavy, or over-draw. This will result in shouting at the viewer and basically become a detraction for the art.
Don't ever stop practicing drawing with your painting. There are many levels to merging drawing into your paintings and the more time you spend mastering this technique the better you become. You can never stop learning and developing your drawing so long as you have the right attitude & work diligently.
A good tip is to use reject and unfinished paintings that are sitting around. This is a great way to develop your drawing skills.
Note: This is the free version. If you would like access to the Premium Video Tutorial Version it's available via SkillShare
Get a premium Skillshare membership for 30 days for only 99¢. This gives you access to this class plus over 30 others (with plenty more on the way) that are currently available. In addition to my classes you can access all premium SkillShare classes by other amazing creatives. An incredible offer!
You can cancel your premium membership at any time. If you cancel before your three months are up, you’ll still have access to all premium classes on Skillshare for the entire three month period. The best 99¢ you will ever spend!
Join over 3000 artists that are loving Robert's advanced painting series on SkillShare. Hope to see you there!