How to Tone Down Colors
How to Tone Down Colors Lesson
In this how to tone down colors tutorial I will share an illustration which will help you understand the basic concept. Tone is an important fundamental to master since most of us paint with color, and not grayscale, or monotone.
What You Need To Know
- Tone will help you control your colors so that you can shift the intensity and saturation of your hues.
- In the illustration I use Viridian green and Mars Grey to mix into the hue.
- Note that with each dilution the intensity of the green will fade.
- Once you learn how to control your colors you gain more control over how you present your subjects & center of interests.
Get To Work
- Create a simple color scale using your choice of a base color. Again, I used Viridian but feel free to use what you prefer.
- be sure to add a swatch of pure color in the very first square. This will give you a good visual on how the grey will impact the original hue.
- Add a little Mars grey to the mixture and apply a new swatch.
- Repeat this step until you have 7-10 swatches.
- Now step back to see the results. Pretty interesting and more importantly useful. Once you see how adding only grey to a color will dull the overall intensity.
- Take It To Another Level
- Start with the same base color. Add your starting swatch.
- Now add a touch of it's complimentary color to it and create a second swatch.
- Repeat the step and add more swatches.
- Step back and soak up the results. this exercise is invaluable to the artist.
- Master manipulating your colors and you are well on your way to becoming a formidable artist.
GET 60 DAYS FREE ACCESS TO OVER 30 PREMIUM ONLINE CLASSES
Get a FREE premium SkillShare membership for 60 days when you sign up using the button below. This gives you access to over 30 classes (and counting) that are currently available by Robert. In addition to Robert's classes you can access all premium SkillShare classes by other amazing creatives. An incredible offer!
You can cancel your premium membership at any time. If you cancel before your three months are up, you’ll still have access to all premium classes on SkillShare for the entire three month period. You have nothing to lose!
Join over 3000 artists that are loving Robert's advanced painting series on SkillShare. Hope to see you there!